Tuesday 13 October 2015

Chipotle Battered Cauliflower Tacos

Hello again guys, if you have been reading my blog for a while you will know that I love Mexican food. I'm constantly trying out new things and trying to make a great vegan Mexican dishes. Whenever I come up with a really good one I like to share it with you guys.

These cauliflower tacos are unlike anything I have ever had before. Spicy battered and deep fried cauliflower in a soft taco with avocado, lettuce and a drizzle of creamy garlic cashew sauce! This combo is to die for.

I took inspiration for this dish from a recipe I saw on Pinterest for fish tacos in a spicy beer batter, I thought a similar thing would work really well with cauliflower and I wasn't disappointed when I tried it. You could try making it other vegetables too if your not feeling the cauliflower vibes, but I would seriously recommend trying this version first.

Anyway lets get to the good stuff.




Ingredients

for the battered cauliflower

1 cauliflower, cut into small florets
1 cup flour
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp. chipotle powder
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. onion powder
1 tbsp. cumin
1 tsp oregano (I used Mexican)
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper

for the sauce

1 cup Cashews, soaked
1/4 cup water
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tsp parsley, dried
1 tsp coriander leaf, dried

to serve

soft flour tortilla
sliced avocado
lettuce

Method

1. Mix together the flour, spices and herbs. Then add the water and mix to form a smooth batter.
2. Submerge the cauliflower in the mixture, deep fry in hot oil until crispy and light brown in colour.
3. Take all the ingredients for the sauce and add them to a blender, blend on high speed until smooth.
4. To serve take the hot cauliflower and place it on a soft tortilla and add lettuce, avocado and drizzle over the sauce.

If you try this recipe out let me know in the comments, or hit me up on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram.

Notes

  • you can add whatever spices you like to the batter and you don't need to worry about cooking the spices before adding them as the oil is so hot it cooks the spices out nicely.
  • for the sauce you could use tofu if you have a nut allergy, just press the tofu before hand and don't add extra water.
  • you can use whatever kind of tortilla you like as long as its small enough to make a taco, corn would work really well.
  • if you don't have chipotle powder you can use regular chili powder and smoked paprika to get a similar taste.


No comments: