Friday 9 January 2015

Oat & Golden Syrup Wheat Beer Bread



Hi guys, as I mentioned in my skillet cookie post, I am working on becoming a better vegan baker. before going vegan I made bread, cakes and cookies on a regular basis.

When I went vegan I found it hard to figure out how to bake the things I liked without eggs and butter. Since then I've discovered a lot of different ways of making baked goods. Saying that I still wouldn't say id mastered it so over the next few months there will hopefully be a lot of my success story's being posted on this blog. 


I feel I'm off to a good start with two in one week so hopefully the only way from here is up.

Beer bread is one of those things (like the skillet cookie) I have seen a lot of on pintrest and I thought it sounded strange but the end result of the one I baked is great, you don't really taste the beer it just adds a nice flavor at the end. Obviously with this bread containing golden syrup it is sweet. I intend on experimenting with savory flavors like Garlic and Herb and Red Onion and Rosemary, so keep an eye out for those in the future.

The best thing about beer bread is they are so easy to make and you don't need to proof or kneed them. Great for beginners vegan or not.

If your not sure if your beer is vegan, at the end of this week i will be posting a list of my favorite vegan beers. once its posted I will link it here.



Oat & Golden Syrup Wheat Beer Bread

Recipe by NEveggie




Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Yield: 1 loaf

Ingredients
  • 3 cups flour
  • 1 Tbspn baking powder
  • 1 cup oats
  • 1/4 cup golden syrup
  • 3 Tbspn brown sugar
  • 1 500ml bottle vegan wheat beer
Cooking Directions

1. Preheat the oven to gas mark 6
2. Add all ingredients to a bowl minus the beer and combine.
3. Add the beer and mix (the mixture will foam up)
4. Grease a loaf tin and pour the mixture into it
5. Put the tin in the oven and bake for 35 minutes or until a skewer push into the center comes out clean.




Once your bread has cooled spread some vegan butter on it and tuck in or give it a quick toast and spread some jam on it (I'd recommend this one)

If you happen to make this bread then please comment below and let me know what you think. We are always looking for feedback here at NEveggie HQ. You can also use #NEveggie on Instagram or Twitter to let us know what you think.