Saturday 10 January 2015

Vegan Beer - My Top Ten

Hello, I mentioned in my post the other day that I would be posting a list on my favorite vegan beers, and true to my word, here is said list.


Number 1 - Camden Hells Lager



Lets start with a lager, when I was younger I would only drink lager which I think is the case with most people. I don't often drink lager these days but when I do it's most often a pint of Camden Hells. This lager is mildly hoppy and has a great soft bitterness which make it refreshing but not boring.



Number 2 - Camden Gentleman's Wit



This is another great beer from Camden Town Brewery, this is a British interpretation of a Belgian wheat beer. It has citrus notes and is smooth to drink. Would be great in my beer bread recipe.
I would recommend trying this one if you can find it.


Number 3 - Brewdog Hardcore IPA



Number 3 is not for the faint hearted, at 9% this bad boy packs a punch. If you are near a Brew Dog pop in and get yourself a third of Hardcore, you wont regret it.


Number 4 - Blue Moon Belgian White



Number 4 is a more readily available beer, it's quite similar to Camden Gentleman's Wit but with an orange citrus note rather than the lemon notes of Wit. This is a cloudy beer and the sediment is in the bottle so be careful when you pour it. 



Number 5 - Amstel


This one is a little more mainstream than the previous four but it's readily available so a good one to know about when out for meals or drinking with non-vegan friends. A light, refreshing beer, Amstel is produced by Heineken which is also vegan friendly.



Number 6 - Beavertown Brewery - Neck Oil


Described as a session IPA, Neck Oil is a smooth, easy drink and a good starting point for anyone who doesn't normally drink IPA/Craft Beer. It's quite low in alcohol (in comparison to other beers on this list) and has a refreshing citrus smell and a bready taste with undertones of citrus. My favourite IPA by miles. Grab a can at Glug if you're in the Newcastle upon Tyne area.



Number 7 - Stella Artois 


Another mainstream choice, if you're not lucky enough to have bars serving great craft beers where you live then its good to know that you can at least drink Stella. Probably the first alcoholic drink I ever had (it was stubby bottle at my sisters house one New Years Eve before I was legal to drink). It's not the most amazing lager in the world but when there are no other options it's a good one. It's also good to note that the people who make Stella also make Stella 4, Budweiser, Becks, Becks Vier, Becks Blue, Brahma, Cubanisto and Leffe all of which are also vegan friendly.



Number 8 - Samuel Smith Fruit Beers


To me there's nothing better on a warm day than a cold fruit beer, Samuel Smith Brewery makes four fruit beers. They are all organic and are all vegan certified. Out of the four I prefer the apricot or the cherry, they are both light and full of flavour. Some fruit beers can be heavy meaning you could only have one or two, but Samuel Smiths are great for a summertime session.



Number 9 - Samuel Smith Pure Brewed Organic Lager


When it comes to lager this is probably the cleanest tasting one you will find. All natural, organic ingredients and vegan to boot. Grab a few bottles when you find it because I guarantee you will love it. You can buy Samuel Smith Beers at Glug or Fenwick in Newcastle City Centre
My favorite on this list by a mile.



Number 10 - Brooklyn Winter/Summer Ale



Brooklyn Brewery produce a summer and a winter ale each year, of all the seasonal beers I've tried these two come out on top. First off I'm a huge fan of Brooklyn Brewery, the lager is amazing. These beers are complex and are unrivaled when it comes to taste. Let's start with the winter ale. It's strong for a start which is nice in winter as it warms you up. There is a nice burnt caramel taste but also a little spice - all round winter winner. The summer is the exact opposite with fruity notes and a fresh, light, summery taste. Highly recommended when they are available. I got both from Glug.

So there you have, it my top ten vegan beers, if your favorite isn't on the list try searching it at Barnivore. They have a huge database of vegan beers, ciders and wines so most likely the beer you love will be there.

Please comment below or tweet me if you found this post helpful, I would love to get some feedback.