Wednesday 25 February 2015

Lentil and Bean Tacos with Vegan Slaw

Mexican food is possibly my favorite kind of food to make, it's so easy to make vegan versions of Mexican dishes I just can't get enough. Before I went vegan, Quorn mince was my go to for a taco filling, now that's not an option I had to think out of the box a little. A mix of mashed beans and cooked green lentils seemed like a good place to start experimenting.

I make my own blend of taco seasoning so I can cater it to my taste, if you can't be bothered just pick one up at the supermarket. 

Obviously using beans and lentils means these tacos are packed with nutrients and protein making for a great post workout meal. The slaw is a nice alternative to salsa and brings even more nutrients to the table. A great mid week meal that's cheap and easy to prepare.





Lets start with the seasoning, you will need:

1 tbsp Chili Powder
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp Onion Powder
1/4 tsp Chili Flakes
1/4 tsp Oregano
1/2 tsp Paprika
1 1/2 tsp Cumin
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Black Pepper

Mix all the herbs and spices together in a jar and mix it together. It's as simple as that.

For the taco filling you're going to need

1 tbsp Oil (I used cold pressed Rapeseed oil)
1 small Onion (chopped)
1 cup Brown Lentils (cooked)
1 cup Beans (Kidney, Pinto, Borlotti etc)
1/2 cup water
2 tbsp Taco Seasoning
Crispy Taco Shells, to serve

For the Slaw

1/4 of White Cabbage
2 Carrots
1/2 a Red Onion 
1 tbsp Cider Vinegar 
1 tsp Sugar
1 tsp Onion Seeds (optional)

Method


  1. In a skillet heat a small amount of oil, add the onions and fry for 3 minutes until just starting to brown.
  2. Add the Seasoning and fry for 30 seconds to cook the spices a little.
  3. Pour in the lentils and beans and lightly squash with a spatula.
  4. Add the water to the pan and stir, reduce until all the water has been absorbed and the beans and lentils are cooked.
  5. In a food processor with a grating plate, grate all the vegetables for the slaw, then put these into a bowl with the rest of the ingredients and mix together.
  6. Once the filling is cooked spoon into the taco shells and plate up with the slaw and some salad leaves.
I hope that if you have come across this recipe you will cook it and enjoy it. If you do please comment below or tweet me. also check out my instagram account. both accounts are @neveggie. Thanks for popping bye, hope to see you again soon.